Don't get derailed from your fitness goals this summer! Keep your goals in mind when heading out to enjoy the beautiful weather. Here are 7 strategies to help you stay on track and maintain or even loose weight this summer.
1) Get moving - regular sustained aerobic activity is one of the most effective ways to maintain or loose weight. This can be walking, jogging, rollerblading, water sports, etc.
2) Cheat a little, but only once a day - if you must indulge in a summer treat, allow yourself 1 small serving. Savour the texture and aroma. Then compensate later on by reducing your caloric intake or by burning a few extra calories through exercise.
3) Eat your fruits and veggies - aim for at least 5 servings of vegetables and 2-3 servings of fruit per day. They'll satisfy your hunger without adding empty calories and the fiber will help you feel full longer.
4) Never go to a party/BBQ hungry - Eat 1 serving of fruit, vegetable, or unsalted nuts before heading out to a summer gathering. Approach the party food only if you feel hungry, then take your time, and choose mindfully. Take small portions and don't over eat. And don't forget to drink your water!
5) Be in charge of your party choices - Bring a healthy appetizer or dessert so you'll have at least one nutritious option. Use a smaller plate to control portion sizes. Bypass the rich sauces, the creamy dips, high fat meat, and sugary drinks. Remember liquid calories add up quickly, so try to limit the amount of calories that you drink.
6) Say 'no' politely - you're not obligated to eat high-calorie foods. Even when they're home-made and your host encourages you. Learn to politely say 'no'. No explanation is needed - I find when I try to explain why I don't want to eat certain foods, I often get more resistance from party goers. Just politely say "no thank you" and move on.
7) Focus on socializing, not food - conversation is calorie-free and standing burns more calories than sitting, so get out and mingle! And to burn even more calories, offer to help clean up.